Tuesday, April 18, 2017

There's Something about George

I was strolling off the motel grounds, looking for interesting things to photograph, when this gentleman introduced himself and we got to talking.  George was his name, and seeing me taking pictures of flowers, he suggested that I visit the Arcadia Arboretum.  He said he worked there for 5 years back in 1979, and he really loved the place.

I told him we would do that, and how I grew up in Arcadia (until the ripe old age of 4 years old).  We kept chatting, and I learned a few years back George was doing up to 480 pushups a day!  He said he had to stop, because if he reached 500, he'd just have to keep on going ;-)

There was something about George (and maybe me) that just kept us chatting.  And when we wrapped up he gave me his phone number, and said, "Stevie, give me a call after you visit the Arboretum."

So here are a few photos from our visit.  It was relatively brief, as it was getting hot, but we had a nice lunch at the Peacock Cafe.


Show-Off!, LA County Arboretum, Arcadia, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]

Bird on a Flower, LA County Arboretum, Arcadia, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]

Arboretum Fountain, LA County Arboretum, Arcadia, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]


Peacock Cafe Deserves Its Name, LA County Arboretum, Arcadia, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]


As it turns out I lost George's phone number (bad iPhone, bad ;-).  So I figured since we were still at the motel, I would try to track him down at his retirement community.  So let me introduce George:


Meet George, Chino, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]

Peacock Power, Chino, CA, April 2017 © Steven Crisp  [Click on the photo to enlarge]


I had purchased a pin and card for George to thank him for the suggestion.  I mentioned I also bought a pin for Carol since we had a pin collection, and George asked me to hold tight for a bit, while he went back to his room.  He came back and gave me a beautiful vintage peacock pin.

As I said, there's just something about George!  As we talked about our visit to the Arboretum, he said, did you get to Tallac Knoll?  Nope.  OK, how about the Rose Garden?  Nope.  Did you at least see the Queen Anne cottage?  Well yes, from a distance.

Even if you have never been to the LA Arboretum, you have probably seen it on TV or in the movies. If you ever watched Fantasy Island, you too have seen the Queen Anne cottage, since that is where Tattoo points and says "Da Plane, Da Plane".  (For those who are too young, or just nostalgic, here is the opening clip.)

George also said "Stevie, drop me a letter when you return home."  (Unfortunately, George does not use a computer, so he can't follow these adventures online.)  You can count on it George!

No comments: